A Travellerspoint blog

Vietnam- Ho Chi Minh

Day 18

sunny 30 °C

We woke up relatively early before deciding to go into Saigon or District 1 as it is called. we caught a taxi to Ben Thanh market but first headed off to find travel agents. We spent a few hours looking for travel agents and finding out how much it would cost to go north for a week or two.

We found a person selling DVD's - illegal i know but i couldn't help it. We then went and had lunch before heading back to the market. It was big but more expensive than Thailand. We checked out the local shopping streets and finally found an internet cafe to book hotels for our trip up north.

We caught the public bus home - everyone single person was staring at us - it was hilarious - but the ride was great and we felt completely safe. We rested for a while before heading out for our first real Vietnamese meal. I had the unfortunate experience of ordering the chicken - it was still bleeding when it arrived at the table - think i'll stick to vegies next time.

We shopped for a little londer before heading home around midnight for a well earned rest

Posted by jess_capri 23:30 Archived in Vietnam Comments (0)

Good Morning Vietnam

Day 17

sunny 26 °C

After waking up at 5:00am and finishing packing we checked out of the hotel and met our transfer to the airport. We drove through early morning Bangkok before seeing a sunrise through all the pollution. We checked in at the airport before being sent to about twenty different gates before we were sent to the right one!

We still had an hour til our fight but managed to keep each other entertained for that long. We boarded our plane then departed Thailand. Breakfast was fish noodles - ugh disgusting! My not eating of breakfast turned out to be a godsend as the bumpy landing we had would have made me sick otherwise.

We were met by Brenda's family at the airport then took the half hour taxi to her Aunty's house in district 10. I was taken aback by the living standards even considering leaving early but i'm slowly adjusting to it. We went to a local supermarket to stock up on supplies before heading home for a relatively early night - 8pm after a long, tiring and emotionally challenging day.


Posted by jess_capri 21:00 Archived in Vietnam Comments (0)

Last day in Bangkok

Day 16

sunny 29 °C

Today is our last day in Bangkok. We got up an caught a Tuk-Tuk to Chinatown - i have never seen so much pollution in my life - my lungs even started to hurt.

After a while we headed back to the hotel and finished packing before heading back to MBK for one last time. We bought last minute gifts and then returned to the hotel and paid our bills and other boring stuff. Ordered a wake up call for 5am the next morning however i didn't sleep anyway as i couldn't help but think that we'd miss our flight the next day

Posted by jess_capri 23:00 Archived in Thailand Comments (0)

Bangkok and Hard-Rock

Day 15

sunny 34 °C

After another late night we allowed ourselves a sleep-in. I went to confirm our flights for the trip to Vietnam. We walked to MBK again an spent another few hours shopping. We then explore Siam Square and Siam Centre - both contained European stores like Marks and Spencer and Esprit and were ludicrously expensive.

I started to feel a bit sick again and went back to the hotel. I slept for a few hours before heading out to dinner. We headed off to the Hard Rock Cafe - great food and lots of it. We caught a crazy Tuk-Tuk back to our hotel where we cleaned up and started packing. We had an early night getting ready for our last day in Bangkok

Posted by jess_capri 22:00 Archived in Thailand Comments (0)

Bangkok - More Shopping

Day 14

sunny 30 °C

Today we had a sleep in - didnt get moving till after 11. We walked down to Pratunam Market and spent the next five hours shopping. Started to feel like a tourist and started to spend my money!

We had lunch but it was awful - it was meant to be a chicken salad- it was a drumstick on a plate of lettuce. As such i spent the afternoon hungry:(. We went back to the hotel for a few hours before heading off to dinner. It was good but the service was so slow. We caught a Tuk-Tuk to the Night Bazaar where we spent another 3 hours shopping. We then caught a tuk-tuk to Patpong to visit the nighttime shopping scene. By then it was after midnight and the shops were closing so we headed back to the hotel. Spent an hour unpacking our day's spoils before getting ready for bed after a long day and lots of money changing hands.

Posted by jess_capri 01:00 Archived in Thailand Comments (0)

(Entries 21 - 25 of 38) « Page 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »